Are Online Casino Games Fair?
Many casino enthusiasts wish to play at an online casino, but there is one question that bothers their minds, and more precisely whether online casinos are fair. As a matter of fact, Internet frauds are not something uncommon, so we do understand you might have certain concerns.
Some casino players who are at the beginning of their gambling career jump in feet first as they crave for quick and easy money. This combined with their inexperience might lead to great disappointment due to significant losses. They feel ripped off by the casino and start doubting the fairness of the casino games.
The online gambling industry is a prolific business that attracts the attention of a great number of fans all over the world. In that sense, the industry is doing its best to retain its fans, as happy customers equal success. Moreover, if a casino has tampered with its games, it will go out of business very soon as rumours spread quickly. Hence, the chance to find a rogue casino operator is quite slight.
How to Recognize Legit Virtual Casinos?
Even though the gambling industry puts a lot of effort to keep fraudsters away, we must admit that it is hard to achieve this due to the size of the industry. Most virtual casinos are legit, but not all. That is the reason why picking up a virtual casino where you can bet your hard-earned money is not an easy task.
Our experts from GamblingPlex are dedicated to providing you with useful information so that you can have a quality time while playing your favourite games from the comfort of your home. In the lines below, we will outline tips that will be useful when picking up a gambling website to set up an account with:
- Check the system for data protection – this is something that many rookie players underestimate and even forget to check. When it comes to online gambling, you will need to provide certain personal information over the Internet. This means that if a casino lacks a data protection system, hackers can easily take advantage of your sensitive data.
Needless to say, casinos have always been the fraudsters’ main target. To protect its customers, most of the virtual casinos utilize the latest data protection system, and namely SSL. Its purpose is to establish an encrypted link that “locks” your information between you and the gambling operator.
- Read about the gaming licenses and certificates – countries that regulate online gambling activities established strict policies to prevent possible criminal activities. For that reason, every country assigned a watchdog whose goal is to keep the gambling industry protected and issue licenses only to gambling operators that comply with all requirements.
Even after a web-based casino acquires a license, it is checked by its licensor on a regular basis. If you are lucky to find a casino that is licensed by the UK Gambling Commission or the Malta Gaming Authority, you can be sure that it is fair and law-abiding. It is important to explain that web-based casinos can hold more than one license issued by the authorities of different countries. In that way, they can expand their reach on more markets.
- Cast an eye over the casino’s responsible gambling policy – if you are about to create a gaming account with a particular virtual casino, the responsible gambling section is the last thing you care about.
However, it is essential to check it, as every reputable casino operator has established a certain policy to protect its players from gambling addictions. Some web-based casinos even offer different tools to prevent its vulnerable customers from compulsive gambling, including self-exclusion, setting loss limits, receiving professional help, etc.
- Skim through other players’ opinions – the truth is that no casino operator will admit that its games are rigged. After you check the website of a particular casino, we would recommend you to join some social group of casino players and hear their opinions regarding the relevant casino.
To receive some more independent information, you can spend some time on reading reviews about the casino you are interested in. There are many websites dedicated to providing players with detailed information about different casinos. GamblingPlex is also a reliable source of casino reviews.
- Check if the virtual games utilize RNG – as casino fans, people rarely think about the mechanics behind the game they play. However, it is important to have some basic knowledge regarding how the games at virtual casinos work. A random number generator (RNG) is a piece of software that produces random results.
For that reason, it is essential for virtual casinos to utilize such software in order to provide unbiased outcomes. To randomize the results, the RNGs use an algorithm. According to industry experts, mathematical algorithms cannot be random, but the chance for a player to notice a pattern is minute. In addition to that, it is possible for a skilled hacker to break into the code, but such unpleasant situations are very rare.
Companies That Ensure Fair Casino Games
Reputable casinos that aim at retaining their players are doing their best to prove the fairness of their games. For that reason, the gambling operators allow certain independent auditing bodies to occasionally test the casinos’ RNG systems.
The legitimate casinos will publish their audit results at the forefront of their page. You can easily understand when was the last time the games at a certain virtual casino were audited by checking the certificate issued by one of the following authorities:
- eCOGRA – eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance is a testing agency based in the United Kingdom. The inspection body has been in business since 2003 and the eCOGRA-audited virtual casinos are allowed to operate in various markets, including Alderney, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, First Cagayan, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Isle of Man, Italy, Kahnawake, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, New Jersey, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This is one of the most reputable organisations and players can be sure that an eCOGRA-audited virtual casino is trustworthy.
- iTech Labs – founded in 2004, iTech Labs has turned into a milestone when it comes to testing casino games. The organisation is committed to ensuring a fair gaming environment and thus, protecting players from frauds. The headquarter of iTech Labs is based in Australia, but its services are available to virtual casinos that target international markets such as Italy, the UK, Denmark, Spain, and others.
The auditing entity offers a variety of services, including consultations casino and multi-player games (poker, bingo, etc.) testing, technical and operational analyses, fraud protection, platform audits, and more. The auditing body can also test multi-lingual gaming content.
- TST – it is the acronym for Technical Systems Testing which is an independent organisation that was founded in 1993. Currently, TST is based in Vancouver, Canada and it is among the most influential auditing bodies. Its main aim is to establish a fair gambling environment. The auditing organisation endeavours to test casino games and certifies only the operators that comply with its high standards.
- GLI – Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) is a testing laboratory that has been recognized by the Illinois Gaming Board (IGB). The testing laboratory is assigned the task to audit and certify state’s riverboat casinos and remote gambling industry. The organisation was established in 1987. Nowadays, it is accredited by many as a leading testing entity for the global gaming industry, providing various services such as independent testing, inspection, and certification.
- Gaming Associates – it is among the first auditing organisations that appeared on the online gambling scene. Gaming Associates was established in 1990 and for the long time it has been on the market, the organisation has strengthened its position. As for now, its certificate is among the most valuable ones.
The auditing facility co-operates with a remarkable number of gambling operators that rely on the company’s services, including platform testing, RNG-based games testing, as well as security audits to evaluate the risk of various potential attacks.
- NMI – this auditing organisation has been involved in the online gambling industry for 40 years, providing its services to gambling operators, software developers, and regulators. Its certificate is recognized by all regulated jurisdictions. The auditing body is considered to be a pioneer in the gambling auditing area. The company started its career at land-based casinos as far back as the 1970s. In 2007, NMI appeared on the online gambling scene as a reputable auditing organisation.
- BMM Testlabs – the independent organisation provides a complete set of auditing services for gambling operators, regulators, and software providers around the globe. BMM Testlabs has offices in some major gambling hubs such as Las Vegas, Macau, Sydney, Singapore, and others. The company has been operating since 1981 and it has always been dedicated to establishing a reliable online gambling environment.
If live dealer games are more to your liking, you should know that these are also tested and audited by the aforementioned testing bodies. What is more, such games are run by an actual human being and the action is captured by high-quality cameras from many different angles. The dealers are well-trained to do their job properly, so mistakes are unlikely to occur. Last but not least, the cameras zoom in on important moments of the games that determine the outcomes.
How Casinos Make Money?
Virtual casinos are business entities and their goal is to make a profit. This is yet another reason for some naysayers to believe that casinos offer rigged games in order to make money. Maybe that is the case with some rogue gambling operators, but most of them are fair and reliable.
Even though a good percentage of the casino’s customers generate winnings, the truth is that both virtual and land-based casinos do not need to bend the rules to compensate for their losses – the games are already in their favor. Regardless of the game you wish to play, it comes with an inherent house edge. It is the built-in statistical advantage that all casinos have over players in the long run.
It is important to mention that the house edge varies between the different games and casinos. Some games have a significantly lower house edge compared to others. To maximize your potential winnings and have fun for longer, we would recommend you to adopt a strategy that is working for you.